Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Memory Lane

For those of you I haven't talked to yet, my grandpa died last Wednesday. I will post details on another post soon but I wanted to post these pictures from the weekend. We went to Palmdale for the viewing and funeral and couldn't help but walk around the property to take a trip down memory lane. It was great to remember all the good times out there but sad at the same time and then also strange to see Noah out there exploring and playing like I used to, and my dad used to.
Anyway, enjoy the pictures and watch for a post about my grandpa in the next couple of days.
















Here's my grandpa's barn. As kids we spent countless hours exploring and playing back here, imagining my grandparents, dad, aunts and uncles out here as kids. From anyone else's perspective it's full of dusty relics but to our family it's overflowing with memories.



















Here's the old swing set my dad and his brother and sisters would play on when they were kids. As a child myself I would play for hours out here on this thing. It was rusted when I was young so you can imagine it now. In fact I was reminiscing with my dad about the time my stepsister, Tara, and I were out here listening to Pet Shop Boys on our "ghettoblaster" for hours. It was surreal, to say the least, watching my son play on the swing set while my dad and I looked on. Time flies!!!

















Here sits the old Model A that has been out back (in the same spot) since we were kids. I can't remember sitting in it because it was so dusty so you can imagine the condition it's in 25 years later.















Tractor parts out there, still in the same place I remember them.

















I'm not sure if any of you have special memories of certain Christmas presents but I sure do. This is one of them. If any of you have ever seen the classic movie, I think it's called The Christmas Story, where the boy is dying for a BB gun then you'll understand. This doll house was on my list and I can remember as if it were yesterday opening it up. It was the most beautiful thing ever! Imagine my surprise when I found it, furniture still carefully placed the way I left it, 25 or so years later. I took the furniture out to save for Jordan but I think the house itself has seen its last day. So sad.

2 comments:

Seagers said...

Jen, Thanks for sharing. This must have been hard, but what a neat time to spend with your dad.

Chiara said...

Oh, Jen. Thank you for sharing memories of your family's past. I am very sentimental about "stuff" because of the memories I attach to it. Looking at all your pictures made me cry, as I could picture the meaning in all of them. I was just thinking the other day about my old metal swingset.
It must have been hard and, yet, sweet to reminisce about years gone by. I'm sorry about your grandpa, but, as I expected, you have been a great witness and example through his death. May God be given glory and recognition by your family through this loss.