Tuesday, September 16, 2008

All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth...

Many of you know that infamous song "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth." Well in our house we are singing that tune tonight.

I hate to have to write this post but I'm hoping it will be a bit therapeutic. Noah knocked his front tooth out tonight. I can't believe it - I'm in such shock.

Shan was gone and I was taking the kids to dollar scoop night at Baskin Robbins (a usual treat for this ice cream loving family). We stopped out front to talk to a few neighbors and Noah had a handful of toys. Somehow he fell but wasn't able to catch himself because of the toys in his arms. He was laying there crying and crying and then the blood started so I picked him up assuming he split his lip. My neighbor told me his tooth was on the sidewalk. Ugggg!!!!! He was bleeding so much and wouldn't stop crying so a neighbor took Jordan and I called the dentist. About a year ago or more Noah was at Scooter's Jungle (an indoor bounce house place for kids) and he fell and bumped his front tooth. It eventually died and turned grayish brown. That's the tooth he hit tonight and the one that came out. I was planning on taking him back to the dentist soon anyway because I suspected it was infected. In talking to the dentist tonight he said that his best guess is that the tooth would have had to be pulled anyway within the next few weeks so better (and cheaper) that it happened tonight. I was able to pray with Noah about it (he was TOTALLY freaked out) and talk about God's grace and mercy in having it come out on its own rather than having the dentist pull it.

The bad news however is that I checked before bed tonight and the two teeth next to it are VERY loose and the gums are grayish and puffy. I have a feeling those two are going to die and eventually fall out too. That would mean he'd be missing his front two teeth and the one next to them. Oh boy. I've always been a borderline vain person. I don't really think it's a major sin issue in my life but vanity is for sure one of those "respectable sins" that lurks underneath and others may not really call it sin. Thankfully tonight I wasn't upset by the fact that he will have a missing tooth/missing teeth. We shall see what the dentist says tomorrow and I'm getting a disposable camera to use tomorrow and until my camera is returned from the shop.

I'll post again tomorrow after our dentist appt and talk more about the infamous tooth fairy and what we've decided to tell the kids.

2 comments:

Chiara said...

I left a comment on Facebook, Jen. So sorry! My dad is a dentist if any questions arise and you want a quick answer. I can't wait to read your post on the tooth fairy. We already decided to forgo that tradition--in the dumpster with Santa and the Easter Bunny. I know everyone has a personal decision there, so I enjoy hearing what other Christian women I respect decide to do!

Seagers said...

Hi Jen, I am so sorry! Will be praying for you guys...