Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Surgery Update and Palmdale Visit





Well, thanks so much for your prayer for our appointment. The doctor got my hopes up by talking to his colleagues about how he is going to do the eye, also that he will fix the nose and the lip. He was talking as if he already planned on doing it during this surgery. I was ecstatic. I was thinking, "God you are SO good! I didn't even have to ask!" However, when he was all finished he told the nurse to schedule surgery for her tear duct clearing, her palate and just the little bump on her eye. I was so confused. Apparently he was just saying what he would "eventually do." I was completely deflated. I asked him if he would do it, he said he wanted to wait to repair it until later but didn't really seem to have any good reason for it. I instantly thought of something my father-in-law said recently. He was talking about how quickly we say how great God is when things go well/go our way but how slow we are to talk about His goodness when things aren't so great in our lives. Here I was being the classic example of that. I was certainly NOT "rejoicing always" or giving thanks in 'everything' as 1 Thesselonians 5:16 tells us we are to do (in fact that's the verse Sarah used for the devotional at Jordan's shower - how appropriate). Here I was disappointed and pouty like a child not getting my way. Rather than rejoicing in God's sovereign hand in my life I was fearing things of this world...that our insurance wouldn't cover Dr. Kawamoto later, that he would retire, that Jordan would be emotionally scarred by the things people say...I could go on but basically it was a lack of trust on my part. I am disappointed in my response but thankful that we have God's word to fall back on and to correct us. 2 Timothy 3:16-18 says, "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be thorougly equipped for every good work."

After the appt Noah and Jordan and I went on to Palmdale to visit my family. My grandma has Alzheimer's and Parkinson's so we are really making an effort to get the kids up there more to visit. Noah LOVED it and had the best time! He went to my dad's house first and learned to feed the horses and mules, learned about gardening (of course he would not eat the veggies), led the horses around and even sat on a couple tractors. He and Jordan were such a joy for my grandparents and I hope, a breath of fresh air like they are to me, with their exhuberance and energy. We got home late last night and are off to Scooter's Jungle with Noah today as a reward for his excellent behavior at the doctor's yesterday. He was such a blessing!

1 comment:

Rebecca Millsap said...

Thank you for the update Jen! We'll be praying for Jordan as her surgery takes place on the 22nd!